On behalf of our client, MARPRO is looking for a Handysize/Supramax Trader to focus on physical freight trading. The position is based in Genève, Switzerland and is part of global freight team segmented by vessel size with region specific responsibilities.
We are looking for an eager professional with handysize/supramax experience.
You will be working closely with other freight team members to price/ forecast/trade the market both on internal flows as well as external 3rd party business. Part of the role will be to provide ‘fair market’ freight rates for backing of internal commodity traders for the facilitation of CNF sales and working as part of a broader team to arbitrage the available trading opportunities at any given time. This may be done through internal/external sales, tonnage procurement on single trips up to period, as well as collaborating as part of a global team on the segment’s FFA strategy.
- Are an experienced Maritime Professional ready for a new challenge and ready to relocate to Geneve
- Come with a knowledge of fundamental economic principles and financial markets
- Have advanced knowledge of freight orientated estimation and operational software
- Possess proficiency with MS office software particularly MS Excel
Our client has a fast-paced trading-floor environment. The position is “on call” 24/7 in order to complete time-sensitive projects, attend training or to respond to emergencies. Occasional domestic and/or international travel to meet clients and attend conventions (approximately three to five times per year).
Your key responsibilities:
Pricing of Freight and Rate Negotiation:
- Maintains and seeks to build new relationships with external 3rd party charterers, with a view to access profitable cargo trading opportunities, including COAs.
- Analyse and work collaboratively with Research team and communicates with other internal freight traders’ market to profitably create value for the team global book.
- Communicates with internal traders, research, FFA and market in form of vessel owners/charterers/brokers to derive ‘fair market’ forward prices for focused market region/flow. Communicating with the global freight team and using the above tools to generate firm freight rates to internal commodity traders in the completion of CNF sales.
- Independently negotiates freight rates and other Charter Party contractual terms with internal and external counterparts.
- Profitably executes sales book basis cheapest execution and arbitrages focused market/flow from both Owners and Charterers side.
- Communicating relevant market information back to commodity traders also.
- Maintains and seeks to further extend network of reliable freight providers to facilitate internal commodity CNF sales in all pricing climates
Freight Contract Execution:
- Works closely with Freight Operations to maximize profitable efficiency and smooth execution, itineraries, stowing plans, and voyage execution plans.
- Organize and attend regular meetings with internal commodity traders to discuss upcoming programme, target business and any execution/trading problems that require attention.
- Evaluates and monitors contract performance to ensure compliance with contractual obligations and/or to determine the need for changes; consults directly with Legal/Arbitration/compliance etc support team on any unusual issues
- Adheres to the Corporate and/or Platform Risk, Credit, Compliance, and Ethics guidelines
- Researches and evaluates trading partners based on price, quality, selection, service, support, availability, reliability, production, distribution capabilities, reputation and history
- Update knowledge on any new topics in the market and undertakes any additional project work required by management.
- Ability to act individually but work as a team
- First class relationship management skills
- Excellent communication both verbal and written
- Can-do attitude and strong execution skills
Essential Skills and Experience
- Language skills requirements: Fluent in English
- 2-7 years relevant chartering/trading work experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Numerically based subject or other business discipline (flexible on this for the right candidate).
- Alternatively, other higher education Previous shipping industry knowledge is an advantage
- 5 years plus of experience in freight chartering/trading would be a plus, other relevant experience will also be considered
- Experience effectively communicating with colleagues and business associates both verbally and in writing in English
- Extensive experience performing advanced freight calculations
- Extensive experience/familiarity negotiating time charter and voyage charter party terms
- Extensive experience arbitraging freight positions on spot and forward markets
- Experience prioritizing multiple tasks in order to meet deadlines
- Experience and/or interest in analysing balance sheets and interacting with researchers to assist the production of same
- Technologically curious and proficient – any coding experience a plus
- Working knowledge of Softmar or Imos systems also a plus
- Knowledge of one or more computer programming languages
If you are interested in this position, please apply online before April 26st, 2019. We take applicants in for an interview on a running basis and we will take the job ad down, once the right candidate is found.
For questions, please contact Recruitment Consultant, Louise Windelboe, MARPRO Search & Selection at +45 40406020.
Our client is a leading merchant and processor of agricultural goods, leveraging its global reach and extensive asset network to deliver for its customers around the world - safely, responsibly and reliably. Today they help to feed and clothe some 500 million people, originating, processing and transporting approximately 81 million tons of commodities annually.